57th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Best Improvised Jazz Solo
View All Nominations For This Artist
Through the 64th GRAMMY Awards
"I'm trying to be expressive on my instrument and conduct as I'm improvising. So I'm conducting with the melodies and the rhythms that I play."
- Born Dec. 29, 1952, in Cleveland
- In the early '80s, Joe Lovano got his start as the saxophonist in GRAMMY winner John Scofield's quartet. He released his debut solo album, Tones, Shapes & Colors, in 1985.
- He won his first career GRAMMY for 2000 for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album for 52nd Street Themes.
- Lovato has released nearly 40 albums as a bandleader or co-bandleader.
- Lovano performed at the 2016 Jazz Legends for Disability Pride, a fundraising concert designed to promote inclusion, awareness, and visibility of people with disabilities.