51st Annual GRAMMY Awards
Best Dance Recording
Give It 2 Me
View All Nominations For This Artist
Through the 65th GRAMMY Awards
"I just always considered myself to be different and able to explore whatever I wanted."
- Born on February 24, 1974 in Portsmouth, Virginia
- Making music with Virginia Beach classmate Pharrell Williams through high school, Hugo landed his first credit on Blackstreet's 1994 self-titled album. A multi-instrumentalist producer, Hugo was credited for production, songwriting and saxophone on the album.
- Working with Williams as the Neptunes, the pair received their first nominations at the 45th GRAMMY Awards under Nellyville's Album Of The Year nom. The duo produced and co-wrote the track "Hot in Herre." The following year at the 46th GRAMMY Awards, the Neptunes won Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical together and won Best Pop Vocal Album for their work on Justin Timberlake's Justified.
- Hugo and Williams' N.E.R.D. bandmate Shay Haley also played with them in Hugo's family garage during the trio's high school years.
- Hugo has helped raise funds for many charitable organizations including the William J. Clinton Foundation and VH1 Save the Music Foundation.
- In 2018 Hugo was featured as part of the Recording Academy's "We Are Music," campaign, which was designed to showcase the creators the Academy represents.