59th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Best Musical Theater Album
View All Nominations For This Artist
Through the 65th GRAMMY Awards
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
- Born Aug. 14, 1945, in Waco, Texas
- Steve Martin first included a bluegrass instrumental, "Drop Thumb Medley," on his 1979 comedy album Comedy Is Not Pretty! His first album of stand-up comedy, Let's Get Small, went platinum and reached No. 10 on the Billboard Pop Albums Chart.
- Martin won his first career GRAMMY for 1977 for Best Comedy Recording for Let's Get Small. He earned his first instrumental GRAMMY for 2001 for Best Country Instrumental Music Performance for "Foggy Mountain Breakdown."
- Martin helped popularize the air quote gesture during his stand-up routines and appearances on "Saturday Night Live."
- Since 1997, the Martin Charitable Foundation has awarded grants in arts and culture and funded research in hearing.