The Black Keys
65th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Best Rock Performance
View All Nominations For This Artist
Through the 65th GRAMMY Nominations
"Bands from Akron have a sense of humor and don't tend to take themselves too seriously." — Dan Auerbach
- Members: Dan Auerbach, Patrick Carney
- Formed in 2001 in Akron, Ohio
- For nearly 10 years, the Black Keys enjoyed moderate indie-level success. That changed in a big way in 2010 with the release of their sixth album, Brothers, which reached No. 3 on the Billboard 200. The lead single, "Tighten Up," became the band's first No. 1 hit on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart.
- Brothers earned the Black Keys their first GRAMMYs for 2010, including Best Alternative Album and Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals for "Tighten Up." They made their GRAMMY performance debut at the 55th GRAMMY Awards in 2013, the Black Keys performed their GRAMMY-winning hit "Lonely Boy" backed by Dr. John and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.
- Did you know? The Black Keys' two-man lineup was the result of happenstance. Guitarist Auerbach was going to record song demos in Carney's basement studio, but on the date of the recording, Auerbach's backing musicians did not show. Auerbach and Carney began to jam together, and the Black Keys were born.
- In 2012 the Black Keys participated in a New York installment of the GRAMMY U SoundChecks series where they answered student questions and performed live. They performed at the 2015 MusiCares Person of the Year tribute concert honoring Bob Dylan. The annual Person of the Year gala raises funds for MusiCares, which provides services and resources that cover a wide range of financial, medical and personal emergencies for music people.
- The Black Keys have participated in benefit concerts to support such charities as Arms Around the Child, Keep A Child Alive, UNICEF, and the Global Poverty Project.
The Black Keys News
All GRAMMY Awards and Nominations for The Black Keys
Get notified of exciting GRAMMY Award news and upcoming events!
Be the first to find out about GRAMMY nominees, winners, important news, and events