Incredible Educators: 10 Finalists Announced For 2019 Music Educator Award
For students of all levels, the benefits of music education are clear. But it's the teachers providing the instruction who make the most lasting impression.
Today the Recording Academy and GRAMMY Museum announced 10 finalists for the 2019 Music Educator Award, which recognizes current educators, kindergarten through college, who have made a significant and lasting contribution in the field of music education.
Coming from 10 cities across six, these 10 names represent the nation's elite music educators, and were selected from over 2,800 initial nominations from all 50 states.
- Jeremy Bradstreet, Dublin Coffman High School, Dublin, Ohio
- Victor de los Santos, Santa Ana High School, Santa Ana, Calif.
- Elizabeth Hering, Churchill High School, Canton, Mich.
- Henry Miller, Sierra Vista Middle School, Lake Forest, Calif.
- Amy Rangel, Glendale High School, Burbank, Calif.
- Jeffery Redding, West Orange High School, Orlando, Fla.
- Scott Sheehan, Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School, Hollidaysburg, Pa.
- Mickey Smith Jr., Maplewood Middle School, Sulphur, La.
- Craig Snyder, Penncrest High School, Garnet Valley, Pa.
- John Weatherspoon, Lake Worth Community High School, West Palm Beach, Fla.
The award is open to current U.S. music teachers, and anyone can nominate a teacher—students, parents, friends, colleagues, community members, school deans, and administrators. Teachers are also able to nominate themselves, and nominated teachers are notified and invited to fill out an application.
From these finalists, one recipient will be selected as the sixth annual honoree and be flown to Los Angles to attend the 61st GRAMMY Awards and various GRAMMY Week events. The nine additional finalists will receive a $1,000 honorarium, and the schools of all 10 finalists will receive matching grants. Fifteen semifinalists will receive a $500 honorarium with matching grants as well. The matching grants are made possibly by the generous support of the GRAMMY Museum's Education Champion Ford Motor Company Fund.
Does all this make an incredible music educator come to mind? Nominations for the 2020 Music Educator Award are now open at grammymusicteacher.com