Achieving The Perfect Smokey Eye … And When To Rock It
The perfect smokey eye has been a staple on runways red carpets for several seasons and it doesn't look like the trend is going anywhere. What I hear most from my clients is that they love the look, but don't know how to create it and when to wear it. I am here to let you in on all the details. A smokey eye is relatively easy to apply, it just takes two different shades of eye shadow, eye liner and a pencil liner brush. Here are the steps:
1. Start with a primed lid so your look will stay in place all night.
2. Take a light shade of shadow and a darker shade and apply them both on the bottom lash line and lid. Start by brushing the lighter of the two shades below your crease and over the entire lower lid. Then, take the darker shade and apply it at the lash line, blending the two colors together.
3. Take the darker shade along your bottom lash line from corner to corner. Then, line the upper lash line and waterline on the bottom of your eye with eyeliner.
4. Take a pencil brush and smudge the liner into your lashes so the harsh line starts to disappear. This will create the smokey effect around your eyes.
5. Lather on a couple coats of mascara and you are ready to go.
This look is perfect for any time of day, depending on the color choice and amount of product used. For a daytime look, try using colors in the taupe, brown, gold, and gray family. For an evening look, give your eyes a punch by adding black and burgundy. Using less product during the day will give you freedom to wear heavier makeup around the lashes for your evening look.
You should have fun with the smokey eye. Express your inner-celebrity — if you do, you are guaranteed to turn some heads.
Check back soon for more tips on beauty, fashion and lifestyle from the GRAMMY Glam Squad. And don't forget to catch all the glitz and glamour of the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards, live from Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013, on CBS at 8 p.m. ET/PT.