The Recording Academy – the organization behind the world-famous GRAMMY® Awards – is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to launch its digital content operation.
For the first time, TRA is consolidating its various digital content producing resources into a single team pursuing a strategic vision. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial publishing pro who can help define our creative strategy and lead the execution of ideas that ladder up to it. This is an unusual opportunity to create a shared-services department from the ground up for a world-renown music industry brand.
This role, reporting to the Chief Digital Officer, determines how The Recording Academy produces content to increase brand awareness, provides added value to its membership, and grows the digital business. You oversee the production of digital content for the organization’s expanding portfolio of digital properties, including websites, mobile platforms, video products, and YouTube. This content is designed to drive engagement, retention, revenue, leads, and consumer behavior across our audiences: fans, members, and donors.
You have substantial experience in running a digital content operation that supports multiple formats (text, image, audio, and video) on rapid project timeframes. You have a proven ability to lead a team charged with:
- Content and channel optimization
- Brand consistency
- Segmentation, syndication, and amplification
- Analytics and meaningful measurement
Building on the organizational goals of the Chief Digital Officer, the Editor-in-Chief collaborates with business stakeholders and external partners to tell their brand stories and align them with the needs of the consumer, coordinating with Marketing counterparts overseeing Brand, Communication, and Social Media efforts.
In addition to informing the ongoing digital media content performance, revenue, and strategic decision-making across The Recording Academy, you are directly responsible for managing the following:
The Editor-in-Chief works with the Chief Digital Officer to manage, mentor, and build the 14-person team that creates stories and content experiences that stand out in the crowded digital landscape, resonate with various audiences, and move them to action. You enjoy and are effective at forming a team to pursue a common goal and possess a proven ability to lead. You unite the team behind a common goal and voice, working closely with them to define, kickoff, and execute editorial projects. This position oversees resource planning functions and hires content staff and external story leaders. A handful of key hires are available for you to fill.
This position is the definitive digital content subject matter expert for the team and organization stakeholders. With the Chief Digital Officer and in line with Marketing brand guidelines, you map out daily, long-term, and real-time content strategies that support stakeholder initiatives, while extending Digital Media business and revenue-generating opportunities. You use data to develop content features and cadences to support functional audience segments throughout The Recording Academy, specifically The GRAMMYs, The GRAMMY Museum, MusiCares®, Membership, and Advocacy.
Collaboration, Relationship Building, & Brand Consistency
You are a digital content evangelist who builds awareness, understanding, and realistic expectations with internal teams, stakeholders, and external partners. This position communicates directly with internal department heads and business leads to ensure strategy alignment, collaboration, and streamlined operations. Your direct reports make sure digital content is on-brand; aligned in terms of style, quality and tone; and optimized for search and user experience for all channels, including web, mobile, video, point-of-purchase, etc. The Editor-in-Chief maximizes the integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns and works closely with Creative Services on branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels.
Business Intelligence & Agile Methodology
The Editor-in-Chief leads a data-informed, learning organization. You leverage market data to develop content themes, topics, and assets that support a point of view, educate customers, and lead to critical user behavior, particularly as they relate to the music industry. This position supervises the gathering of real-time data and long-term KPIs, working with the team to make operational recommendations, course corrections, and overhauls as needed. You use ongoing usability tests by the Manager, Analytics & Research to gauge content effectiveness and determine which methods resonate with our audiences and why. Continuous improvement is a must.
Best Practices, Workflows, & Quality Assurance
You are the arbiter of best practices and enforce a high standard for content, including messaging, writing, production design, and audio and video production. The Editor-in-Chief develops the criteria to evaluate ideas from the team, stakeholders, and external sources. You establish workflows and standards for pitching, requesting, creating, editing, publishing/distributing, and repurposing or resurfacing content. This position also creates systems and best practices (both operational and technological) for content maintenance, archiving, retrieval, and retirement. You oversee periodic competitive audits, and stay on top of digital content trends.
Part of the Digital Media department based in Santa Monica, CA, this position reports directly to the Chief Digital Officer and manages a team of 14.
- 8+ years experience in a content leadership role, preferably at a multi-channel content creation company or brand-content studio.
- A degree in journalism or communications preferred.
- Previous leadership of a diverse team of editorial, video, and design creators.
- Proven ability to develop, assign, and edit high-quality, multiplatform content that covers the recording industry and/or pop culture.
- Firm grasp of digital media, social media, and content trends.
- Direct experience assessing and operationalizing data and analytics.
- Exceptional organizational, strategic, and writing and editing skills.
- Deep understanding of content planning, distribution, and syndication.
- Ability to develop workflows that deliver content optimized for every screen.
- Experience nurturing and initiating creative thinking.
- Established reputation as a collaborative partner and a fearless leader.
- Demonstrated ability to implement, maintain, and use content creation, management, and tracking tools and technology, including Drupal, Divvy, Curata, etc.
- A network of reliable freelancers.
- SEO and SEM experience a plus.
- Driving business results through highly matrixed environments.
- Presenting to senior executives, partners, and stakeholders.
- Consulting with senior leaders and stakeholders to effectively apply content recommendations into business plans, budget allocation, and implementation plans.
- Prioritizing projects in alignment with organizational objectives.
- Advising on vendor selection and management.
- Working with freelance designers and content producers.
- Additional project-related duties as assigned.
- Ad hoc reporting as required.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
No direct calls.