2017 "GRAMMY Salute To Music Legends": Who Performed?
The second annual "GRAMMY Salute To Music Legends" aired Friday, Oct. 13 on PBS.
The exciting two-hour program centered around the presentation of this year's Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Awards to honorees Shirley Caesar, Ahmad Jamal, Charley Pride, Jimmie Rodgers, Nina Simone, Sly Stone, and the Velvet Underground, as well as the presentation of the Technical GRAMMY Award to audio inventor Alan Dower Blumlein, and Recording Academy Trustee Awards to producer/arranger/songwriter Thom Bell; record executive Mo Ostin; and recording executive, A&R man and music publisher Ralph S. Peer.
Along with never-before-seen video packages celebrating each of the honorees' contributions to the music industry and its cultural heritage, the star-studded event featured performances by GRAMMY winners Kirk Franklin, Randy Newman, Le'Andria Johnson, Dionne Warwick, Dwight Yoakam, and Living Colour founder/guitarist Vernon Reid; GRAMMY nominees Andra Day, Neal McCoy, Charlie Wilson, Valerie Simpson, Russell Thompkins Jr. of the Stylistics, and Catherine Russell.
Here's a recap of the full lineup of performances:
(Note: performers are listed in parentheses)
• "You Make Me Feel Brand New" (Russell Thompkins Jr.)
• "Then Came You" (Dionne Warwick)
• "But Not For Me"/"Ahmad's Blues"/"Poinciana" (Stanley Cowell)
• "Mississippi Goddam" (Andra Day)
• "Hobo Bill's Last Ride"/"Mule Skinner Blues"/"T For Texas" (Dwight Yoakam)
Ralph S. Peer
• "Crazy Blues" (Catherine Russell)
• "The Great Pretender" (Russell Thompkins Jr.)
• "Georgia On My Mind" (Andra Day)
The Velvet Underground
• "I'm Waiting For The Man"/"Sunday Morning" (John Cale Band with Maureen "Moe" Tucker)
• Medley: "You Name It"/ "It’s Alright, It's OK"/"You’re Next In Line For A Miracle"/ "Satan, We're Going To Tear Your Kingdom Down" (Kirk Franklin with Le'Andria Johnson)
• "Caught Up"/"Jesus, I Love Calling Your Name" (Shirley Caesar)
• "A Few Words In Defense Of Our Country"/"I Think It's Going To Rain Today" (Randy Newman)
• "Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone" (Neal McCoy)
• "Kiss An Angel Good Morning" (Charley Pride)
• "I Want To Take You Higher"/"Everybody Is A Star"/"Sex Machine"/ "Dance To The Music" (Charlie Wilson, Valerie Simpson, Vernon Reid)